Living in Westwood is a lot of fun for us UCLA-ers. There’s movies, plays, tons of shopping, and Diddy Riese, of course. But what about the food?! Here’s 8 Westwood restaurants that don’t always get the attention they deserve.
Welcome to spring break! WOO! YOU’RE AT THE BEST POSSIBLE PLACE YOU CAN BE THIS WEEK. ON CAMPUS. Just kidding. Now, if this is your first spring break here, you will know that there are actually no meals offered here during the break by the dining halls.
Therefore, to keep you from scavenging for food, we’ve come up with some cheap alternatives for you instead.
You can’t deny that UCLA has amazing dining services. Not only do we have a ton of options, but our food is hands down one of the best in the country. And just when you thought nothing could be better than lunch-to-go on those hectic days, De Neve has brought us our very own sushi-to-go! Weekdays from 11-3 you can grab an 8-piece sushi lunch to go with a choice of water, milk, or juice.
And the best things about the new sushi program?
(1) It’s just a swipe away
De Neve sushi offers you sushi and a drink for just one swipe. Way better deal than you could get in a restaurant.
(2) It’s conveniently placed on the hill
No need to trek to Westwood or Tsunami just for sushi. With De Neve’s sushi to go, you can have sushi for lunch during the week whenever your heart desires.
(3) Cucumber avocado roll every day
The vegetarian option of a cucumber avocado roll is available every day, so if you’re on a diet or have dietary restrictions, you don’t have to wait for a specific day to get your sushi fix.
With Thanksgiving come and gone, and winter holidays approaching, we must prepare for the inevitable (and glorious) feasting/weight gain. If you’re freaking out that you’re going to come back looking like Jabba the Hutt, read these helpful tips on how to not gain 50 pounds in your two week break!
Hey bud, friend. How are you doing? Yeah, no, they won’t be coming; they’re on vacation in the Bahamas right now, yes. So your parents aren’t coming to parents weekend. How can that be possible? It’s called parent’s weekend for a reason, we protest. But, unfortunately, you won’t be able to show off your new roommate who speaks four languages and plays guitar. And no, you won’t be able to complain about your other roommate who leaves the light on and never remembers to clean up after her take out. But that’s okay because you have swipes.
You’re probably thinking. What? Why does that matter? Here’s why it matters: I’m here for you. No, really. I’m a 3rd year, and I’m practically 20, and I’ve been through 3 parents’ weekends. This will be the first parents’ weekend I don’t pound butter beers and stagger tearfully around bruinwalk to a slow guitar in the night. I’m here to listen to your problems, if you swipe me. Just kidding.
In all seriousness, one of the greatest upsides of being a freshman or sophomore or just a person living on the hill is the convenient access you have to meals, which is a luxury those in the apartments quite literally drool for. And though your parents won’t be here to indulge in the dining halls with you, just remember: at least you have 19p.
So you have 19P and you never woke up for breakfast. Ever. Or you have some other meal plan and don’t eat. Either way, you’re here for one reason: you have way too many darned swipes. And you’re starting to freak out because Week 10 is finally here and you NEED to get rid of all those 50 swipes. Here is OTH’s advice on how you can get rid of them in the most awesome way possible:
1. Donate to the homeless. There will be a booth outside De Neve around tenth week. Feed people who actually need the food!
2. Now is the time to create weird combinations of different things you never had the courage to do because you didn’t have enough swipes. Get a burrito and then a combo box from Rende. Proceed to take all the filling out of the burrito and wrap the specimen up with all of the combo box food. Boom. Asian fusion.
3. Get the green tea ice cream with mango and red beans or the mango vanilla ice cream nachos at Rende after 9. It is OTH’s personal opinion that many people do not know about this phenomenon. Exploit it.
4. Swipe boba from Hedrick. Have a boba fight using the straws. Do we even need to explain how this could be hours of fun? It’s the struggling college kids’ version of a nerf gun fight.
5. Make people’s days. Go swipe random people. You’ll be surprised how good you’ll feel about helping people out.
All right. That’s 5 tips. Get out there and use those swipes!
by Jerry Cheung