I’m tired. I’m sore. I’m stressed. And yet, here I am trying to tell you about how to stay motivated. You may think I am probably not the best candidate for this article because I’m tired, but my struggles have made me realize that I have to make changes in my life if I want to stay sane. Here are some things I’ve realized I need to do now that I’m always busy:
Spring quarter is coming to an end. Yay! But wait. That means after your midterms — which have just recently passed — are finals. Here are OTH’s tips on surviving probably the most excruciating finals you will ever have because the weather outside is so nice and all you want to do is go to Sunset Rec and nap:
- Grab your obligatory choice of energy: 5 hour energy, coffee, monster, etc and start stocking up now. You will need it for the late nights.
- Get your course reader. As in — go purchase the book from Ackerman. Yes, it’s time to finally stop borrowing your friend’s textbook. Now is the time to drop some moolah.
- Watch all of the podcasts you’ve missed. There are about 10 podcasts and you have exactly 10 hours left. Dilemma. Solution: watch in 2x speed.
- Cry. Pet puppies. Powell will have dogs you can play with. Destress.
- Ace that shiz cause you go to UCLA and you is smart, you is kind, and you is good. We believe in you.
Now stop browsing the Internet and get studying. Good luck!
by Jerry Cheung
Midterms are coming. Ya know what that means. Your friends on Facebook suddenly become a lot more interesting. Your friends on Snapchat suddenly need about a thousand snaps of you trying to start work. Your room suddenly needs to get cleaned. You get the picture. You’re distracted, and you need to get started. OTH is going to help you out with that, so we’ve come up with a list of distractions you should watch out for:
1. Youtube – There are a lot of cats and puppies and tutorials and ten million other things that you will suddenly become interested in seeing instead of doing your work. Don’t do it. Click X. Remove adblock. The 30 second ads will deter you (maybe). Don’t use those 30 seconds to “study”.
2. Friends – No one wants to do work right now, you included. Hang out with your friends and you will fail. Don’t fail.
3. Every little task you’ve been putting off now – These things will suddenly become very attractive. In your mind, it’s become an immensely big deal for you to finally update your Facebook to reflect your current interests because people look at your profile.. and stuff, right?
4. “15” minute naps – Don’t do ’em. Don’t sleep because you’re too “tired”. You’re going to forget to wake up and cry because you wasted 10 hours in bed.
So here you go. Be aware of these four things and you will (perhaps) do well.