Are you excited to move into your residence hall this September? Are you so excited you have already started packing? Well if you haven’t, here is a guide to what you should pack when moving in On The Hill.
- A shower caddy and flip flops. For those of you who don’t know, many of the bathrooms on the hill are communal, so you will most likely have to take your soaps into the bathroom with you when you go to shower. This makes having a shower caddy and flip flops extra helpful!
- Decorations. Your room on the hill is going to be your home for the next academic year, so you should want it to feel like your home too! Bring some decorations to make your room shine, but make sure they don’t get too shiny (as in make sure they aren’t flammable). Here is a list of things you can’t and cannot decorate your room with (link here).
- A mattress pad. While the rooms do come fully furnished (bed, desk, chair, etc.) the mattresses are not exactly luxury. But that is nothing a mattress pad can’t fix! It may seem like an unnecessary expense, but trust me, you will thank me later.
- A water filter and reusable water bottle. Having to buy plastic water bottles is not just a hassle, but expensive and damaging to the environment. Make sure to bring a water filter and reusable water bottle so you always have fresh water available to you! Plus, you can use your reusable water bottle when you go to class too.
- Ear plugs. If you have a random roommate, you may not know what type of sleeping/living habits they have. So if you are a light sleeper, and your future roommate likes to stay up until 3am Skyping with their significant other, a pair of ear plugs or noise canceling headphones may come in handy!
by Laurie Goodman