If you are new to UCLA, you might be curious about what Jazz Reggae really is. To be fair, as spring continues, it gets kind of difficult to keep track of all the festivals going on both on and off campus. Have we mentioned how lucky we are to have two major musical events on campus this quarter? Spring Sing and Jazz Reggae are both really big events that many Bruins before us have gone to. So, On The Hill has come up with a few facts for you so that you can be up to date:
1. Jazz Reggae has been around for 27 years. Wow. That means your parents might’ve gone to it. Imagine that.
2. It isn’t just jazz. They do R&B and soulful music also.
3. The huge festival is founded and promoted by UCLA students. All the staff members and programmers are from UCLA!
4. Jill Scott, Stephen Marley, The Roots, Nas & Damian Marley, Lupe Fiasco, India.Arie, Q-Tip, Barrington Levy, Gary Clark Jr., and Erykah Badu have all performed at Jazz Reggae before.
5. This year will feature Snoop Dogg AND Aloe Blacc. Need we say more? This year’s festival will be held over the Memorial Day weekend on May 25th and 26th. For more information, visit their website here.
by Jerry Cheung